Thursday, January 10, 2013

A Lack of Internet Makes Me Ramble

Hey friends.

Last night was supposed to see the publication of a new This Exists! column here on the blog, but when I got home my puppy had chewed through the wires connecting my modem to the wall, so I had no Internet access whatsoever. This put a damper on my plans, since I couldn't upload any images to the column, and now I'm at work where I do have the Internet but can't scan anything without being conspicuous. Hopefully tonight I'll be back online at home and can get that bad boy put together for your reading enjoyment, but in the meantime I thought I should throw something up, if for no other reason than it's been like a week-and-a-half since I did so. So what follows are just some general bits and pieces that have been floating around my brain recently and have nowhere else to live.
      New comics day yesterday, which is always a good thing, though it did come with a few disappointments. For some reason I was under the impression that Riley Rossmo's Dia de Los Muertos #1 was getting released this week and not in three weeks like it actually is, so the lack of that book in my folder was a bummer. Also, as excited as I am to finally, finally have the last chapter of The Infinite Vacation (which also marks the very last Nick Spencer comicbook I ever plan to buy) I was not aware that it'd cost six bucks. Yeah, it's oversized, but still... I haven't read it yet because I want to sit down and go through the entire series at once, but it better be one hell of a conclusion after such a massive delay and the bump in price. The rest of the stuff I picked up yesterday was standard fare, but between dealing with the Internet and general exhaustion I haven't properly read any of those yet, either. Expect some reviews to follow tomorrow after I get a chance to dig into everything tonight.
     My engagement party was this past weekend (which also helps to explain why I haven't updated the blog in a while) and it was an absolute blast. Stressful, yes, inasmuch as we had like 30-40 out-of-town guests who needed to be fed and wrangled and otherwise organized throughout the week, but ultimately well worth it to get to see so many great people who love us so much. But the real reason I mention it here is to talk about my fiancĂ©, Katie, who is the absolute best. Supportive, beautiful, and uniquely hilarious, Katie doesn't really read comicbooks herself (though she did love 100 Bullets) but what she will sometimes do is make up stories for whatever I am reading based on the cover. My favorite to date, and the most elaborate example, is The Umbrella Academy, which in Katie's mind revolves around a traveling umbrella salesman who must constantly battle a green-skinned, soul-sucking monster. It's tonally close to the truth yet factually off-base, but most of all it's a story that I now want to read and wish existed. So that's one of the things I love about Katie---she can open up my imagination with new ideas and simultaneously make me look at familiar comics under a new light. Also the way she tells these cover-based stories always makes me laugh, because they come from nowhere and are often unexpected interruptions, but there is no way to capture that while writing about it here. Trust me, though, that girl's uproarious. So a big, ongoing thanks to her for that.
     More and more, the impracticality of female outfits in superhero comicbooks baffles me. Not the hypersexuality (though it's all rolled together), but the actual physical danger these costume designs would put the women wearing them in. Exposed torsos and ribs are just bad ideas when putting together a costume specifically to be worn in battle. Especially if you're a good guy, because the villains of these universes typically have no qualms about killing. Cover up your vital organs, ladies! It's just good sense.
     I rather enjoyed the seamlessness with which Simon Roy was able to take over the writing duties for the latest issue of Prophet. Can't wait for Giannis Milonogiannis to get a chance to do the same.
     That is the first time I have written "Giannis Milonogiannis" without having to look it up.
     Well I suppose that is as good a place as any to wrap up this random post. Just got a text from Katie saying she has a replacement cord for the modem so if that works out there'll be a new This Exists! tonight and fresh Pull List Reviews tomorrow. Huzzah!

No comments:

Post a Comment